LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Peeing on things.

Regarding peeing on things.

A woman in her 20s dreads intentionally peeing into cups or onto strips. Typically, it means pregnancy tests or STI/UTI screening. The combination of fear and discomfort (as well as the indignity of it all) leads to a Pavlovian dislike for peeing onto/into things other than toilets.

So why even discuss it? Well, on the Saturday after I started trying paleo, (3 days), I kept noticing something that smelled like marischino cherries--it was my breath. Despite this sweet heady smell, my mouth tasted...weird. As a chemist, I know of one thing which smells like that: acetophenone (and similar compounds, all of which are ketones). Off I went to Walgreens to find Ketostix, a brand of urinalysis sticks designed to screen for presence of ketones in the urine.

There I was, in the bathroom, filled with the jitters I associate with peeing on things (and invariably, peeing onto my own hand, goddamnit). Lo and behold, ketosis. Damnit.

Lesson to be learned? On paleo, I have to be conscious to eat more carbs. Sweet potatoes. Fruits. Got it.

That was some time ago now, but this weekend, I noticed something. I was fatigued beyond belief. I felt like I couldn't manage to roll myself out of bed for anything. I was sleeping 8-9 hours, and I wasn't killing myself in the gym. One piss test later, and I found that I was again in ketosis. As I mentioned in a previous post, I believe I was experiencing what ketogenic dieters call the "keto flu." This weariness apparently passes if you stay in ketosis long enough, but I have no intention of doing so. Some healthy carbs, a multivitamin, and a trough full of water later, and I was feeling back in shape.

Second lesson to be learned? ON PALEO, I HAVE TO BE CONSCIOUS TO EAT MORE CARBS.

Bah!

No comments:

Post a Comment