LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Monday, May 09, 2011

Yikes!!!

So today, I weigh 171 lbs (BMI 29.3). WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! TO show you how crazy my weight loss pattern has been in the last month, have a look at this lovely graph:
Sorry about the image quality (clicking on it shows it much larger and clearer). Apparently, you can't save a "chart" as an image directly from excel. You have to paste it into MS Paint. At least, that's how my feeble computing skillz had me do it.

Also, you'll notice I added a ticker. Bonus: I'm growing out my hair (and hopefully, cutting out all color treatment of my hair), so the image of the gal on the bike with the long flowing locks seems appropriate.

Sad news about my hair, though. So during my divorce, I decided I needed a change. My hair is naturally a dark ash blonde/light ash brown color. "Hair-colored-hair." I had dyed it dark brown for YEARS upon years. I bleached the shit out of it and toned it to a light ash blonde in the hope of getting close to my natural color again (because the stark blonde roots against the dark brown hair was a nasty look. And growing it out with such a harsh demarcation was out of the question). Obviously, it fried the shit out of my hair, and I cut it from armpit length to just below chin length. In the ensuing months, it became obvious that I had aimed WAYYY too light. My darker roots were just showing through like mad. And again, I hit a point where I needed a change. With such light blonde hair, I felt like I looked SOOO young. With my big cherubic cheeks, I just looked like a doll (and not in a good way). I had also lost a lot of weight at that time (this is in the late spring/early summer of 2010), and I felt like a VIXEN.

What color hair do vixens have? RED RED RED. I used henna to go BRIGHT Lucille Ball orange. I loved it. It was so fiery in the summer sunlight. With more henna treatments, it deepened to a more red-copper color. It was spectacular. Also, I was still growing out that bleach damage (and the subsequent damage of the re-coloring to get closer to my natural color), so I chopped it to chin length again sometime in the late summer (from collarbone length).

But again, those damned ashy blonde roots always looked so obvious. And henna is SUCH a hassle. So I bleached out the henna, and I got the depth, but not the right shade of color. It was basically the same darkness (lightness) as my natural color, but it was a definite golden/strawberry blonde color. So one more session with a color with a bit more pigment (medium "smoky" brown. That is, a brown with violet undertones) should do the trick!

Well. I don't use box dye. I use color and developer from Sally's. It's cheaper that way. I'm very experienced with how to mix color and what components to use. HOWEVER. When I got home, I found that I ONLY had 10 volume developer. For those of you that don't know, "developer" contains peroxide which lifts the pigment currently in your hair. Meanwhile, the dye deposits its own color into your hair.

The higher the "volume" of the developer, the more peroxide it contains and the more color it will lift from your hair. This is where a lot of people go wrong. Because the color that is the LAST to lift from the hair is yellow/orange pigment. And if the color that's deposited has "golden" undertones, it will turn out orange.

OKAY! So I have a good depth to the color of my hair, I just want to change the tone (from "golden" to "neutral/ash"), and I'm using a color which is just a TOUCH darker than what I want because that will do a better job of hiding the red/orange that is still left behind in my hair.

BUT!! With only 10 volume developer, the peroxide won't strip enough pigment and the dye will deposit too much color. That is, it will turn out BROWN INSTEAD OF BLONDE-BROWN YOU DOOFUS.

So that's what happened. Fortunately, it has faded enough that my incoming roots are no big deal and I intend to just grow them out. Demarcation be damned!

Despite all this chemical damage I do to my hair, I otherwise treat it like antique lace. I am SOO SO SOO gentle with it, giving it all sorts of nourishing/moisturizing/repairing treatments to compensate. But there's only so much a gal can hope for with so many dye applications, bleaching, toning, etc. What is the price I've paid? My hair is no longer curly. :( At the nape of my neck, I still have ringlets, but everything from my ears up can best be described as frizzy/wavy. I am pretty upset about this, but I know that I have no one to blame but myself. My hair grows at a normal rate (0.5inches per month), so I'll just be patient. Also, henna is known to loosen the curl in hair. Soooo...blah. My hair kinda sucks, but it's long enough to put in cool braids/buns so I'm just hiding it for now. :)

And I weigh 171lbs!!! Holy crap! Hopefully the new picture session will be soon (that is, new progress pictures at 170lbs).But I have this inner skepticism, because it seems that once a goal is near, it takes forever to get that last pound, haha.

And the 160s are SOOO close. Damn. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment