LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Thursday, April 14, 2011

SKEPTICISM

So weight loss is a funny thing. When I weigh in at 2 pounds heavier than I did before (I did this earlier this week. I weighed in at 179.25), I think "meh, that's probably just water/food in my belly/humidity/El Nino." I dismiss it as a sort of "false positive" as we say in the schientific community. I don't think I'm entirely wrong in doing this because often on the next day, I'll be back to "normal."

As long as the OVERALL trend is a decreasing weight, and the spike of an increase is just occasional (which it is), I don't really mind it.

But yesterday, I weighed in at 175.25lbs. That puts me at a 1.75 loss for the week? Srsly? I weighed in at 8pm. I had a lot of water to drink that day. I ate normally. I didn't really do anything out of the ordinary that might have given such a low weight (like liposuction or a lobotomy). Part of me is all giddy and excited about seeing that number. However---I don't TRUST IT. I feel like seeing the scale is just making fun of me or something (very scientific, right?). It will taunt me with this low number, and then I'll weigh in at 182 or something tomorrow.

So the good news about this number (if it's real) is that this means I have lost 5% of my body weight (9.25lbs) in 9 weeks. About a pound a week is reasonable. If I lose just a BIT more (that is, putting me in the 174 range) I will officially be "overweight" instead of "obese."

It's kind of funny to say "YAY!! I'm OVERWEIGHT!! WOOHOO!!!"

And here's another weird thing about my weight loss. By using my fitbit profile thingie, I have been keeping track of my body measurements along the way. When I first measured myself, I used the cord on my headphones and this one particular red ruler. I did this at work, with my clothes on. I figured, since that's how I did my starting measurements, that's how I would have to do it from now on. Clothed, cord, red ruler.

(sidenote: It's really depressing when I take the cord from around my hips and can physically see how fucking long the measurement is. LAME.)

My neck measurement has gone down by 0.5in.
Bicep: Down 0.5in
Forearm: Down 0.5in
Chest: Down 1.5 in
Waist: Same
Hips: Down 1.0in
Thigh: Down 1.3in (I measure at upper thigh, but they recommend down around the quad. I would rather track upper thigh flub, thanks).
Calf: Down 0.8in

And when I started writing about measurements, I had in mind to complain about how I'm not really losing inches. And that even though I'm not losing inches, my pants are looser.

But once I wrote down the measurements, I realized that I AM losing inches. Just a bit more than 7 so far. It's not much, but it's 7 inches! I'll bet that if you were having a discussion about 7 inches of something, you didn't think it would be the flab on my body, eh?

Regarding my pants, I am currently in between sizes. The pants that fit well when I started this are loose. But the pants that I have that are a size smaller are still too tight. So I'll be a belt-wearing lady for a while.

Yay weight loss! But I'm still skeptical of the 175.25. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the inches! That's so incredibly exciting!

    Do you ever make a menu for the week? Or do you do your meals by the day?

    ReplyDelete