LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Is a calorie just a calorie?

I've been concerned about intake a lot throughout this process.

First of all, the most important part for weight loss is that I should burn more than I eat. Okay, fine.

But how much does it matter if I'm eating too much fat? Or too many carbs? I rarely get enough protein. Recommended amount of protein a day for me is anywhere from 50-150g a day. I'm often lucky to hit 50 because I just don't eat a lot of meat. I've been selecting protein-laden yogurt for snacks and I've toyed with whey protein.

So how important is it, anyway? I take vitamins. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables (lots and lots). And I'm pretty sure (since I'm not sick) that my body isn't starving for any particular macronutrient.

The reason why I ask is because I don't think I could live a life on egg white tortilla rolls and chicken breast on salad. Sometimes, I want something greasy. Like Chick Fil-A nuggets. If I'm eating something pretty unhealthy, but I'm still under my calorie count for the day (that is, somewhere between 1500-1700), is that all that matters?

I know, I know. Lifestyle changes are the only way that results stick. What's a fat lady to do? 1/2 a teaspoon of fat free Cool Whip instead of ice cream? I don't know what the answer is. There are so many variations on macronutrient ratios. Carbs/protein/fat (50/20/30, 40/30/30, 30/40/30, etc). Some places say it's just the number of calories total that you eat. Other places  emphasize the importance of the distribution of where the calories come from. And yet another news article discusses that a calorie is just a calorie, regardless of its source--sort of. Calories rich in fiber give a sense of fullness, so they're better or something. Argh. I don't know what I've decided on this front.

In other news, I'm excited to report that I am soundly in the 170s still. I weighed in at 179.25 the other night. So, considering the fact that there's a bit of a fluctuation, I'll say that I'm down another pound for sure. Goodbye 180s!

AND AND AND! This may be a weird thing to put out there on the interblags, but I managed to LOSE WEIGHT while PMS-ing. Water retention can suck it. HA!

2 comments: