LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

When to eat?

I've had this conversation before with my friend, Katie.

Here's the thing:
I work lots of hours. The only times I can work out are early mornings (yeah, right), lunch time, and after work. I will NOT be the type to get to the gym at 7am. I do, however, occasionally pop into the gym for 20-30 minutes of cardio during my lunch break (I did this today, in fact. 20 minutes on the arc trainer and a 5 minute cool down walking on the treadmill).

So most of my work outs are in the evenings. I usually finish work at about 7 or 7:30. I don't want to eat right before working out because it makes me feel sick. I don't really want to eat at 7:30ish and wait an hour, because that is just too late to get to the gym for me. What I typically do is eat a late "lunch" and that holds me over until after the gym, when I eat dinner (usually 8:45 or later).

But here's the thing. I TRY so hard to eat during the day. I don't want to get to the point where I'm ravenously hungry or else I'll just grab something fast to eat and move on. This is usually shitty food. So my solution is to keep various foods around me at work: yogurt, fruit, carrots, celery, and odwalla bars are most common. This usually results in me not having a real meal for lunch. It's usually really light.

That's good, right? Well, I'm not sure. Monitoring my calorie intake throughout the day, I usually have about 700 or so calories in me by the time the day is over. That's just not enough. I don't feel especially full, though--I just don't eat a lot during the day. My appetite peaks at night. It always has. And now that I'm working out in the evenings, I'm super hungry after I work out---which is my new "dinnertime" at 8:45 or 9pm.

What do all those bitches say about meal time? Don't eat after 7:00pm? That's total bullshit. I know, I know. Something something metabolism. Blah blah something about what your body does with calories when you're sleeping. But I just don't have a lifestyle compatible with that. I could maybe try to eat a bigger breakfast, but I have to FORCE myself to eat in the mornings as it is. I've flirted with the idea of my "big meal" of the day being at about 4pm, but I just can't get myself used to it.

So I just don't know when to eat. The times that are convenient for me (and truthfully, most enjoyable--it's hard to enjoy a meal when you're on break from work) are apparently not-so-awesome. I'd love to hear suggestions if you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment